What are the symptoms of a metal allergy

Anaphylaxis (anna-fih-LACK-sis) is a severe allergic reaction that can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. It happens quick and may cause death. Symptoms generally involve more than one part of the body, such as the skin or mouth, the lungs, the heart and the gut. Study more about anaphylaxis.


Causes

The symptoms of metal hypersensitivity are caused when the body’s immune system starts to view metal ions as foreign threats. The cells that make up the immune system normally kill foreign bacteria and viruses by causing inflammation. If they start attacking metal ions that you touch, eat, inhale, or own implanted in you, they can produce a variety of symptoms (see the symptoms and complications section, below).

Potential metal allergens (triggers of allergic reactions) are extremely common in everyday life. Typical sources such as watches, coins, and jewellery come readily to mind. However, there are also other less obvious sources of metal in our daily lives. For example, cosmetic products and contact lens solutions may also contain metals that can trigger a reaction at the area of contact.

Nickel is one of the most frequent allergens, causing significant local contact dermatitis (skin reddening and itching).

Cobalt, copper, and chromium are also common culprits. These metals can be found in consumer items such as jewellery, cell phones, and clothing items.

Aside from everyday items, medical devices also contain possible allergens such as chromium and titanium. Older dental implants and fillings are often made of metals. A few intra-uterine devices (IUDs) for birth control are made of copper and can also cause hypersensitivities. Implantable devices such as artificial knees, artificial hips, pacemakers, stents, and fracture plates, rods, or pins may contain metals that can cause metal hypersensitivity reactions.

These reactions are often more severe in nature when the allergens own been implanted within the body for an extended period of time.

In addition, people who already own an autoimmune disorder (a disorder where the immune system is overactive) can own a higher risk of a metal hypersensitivity, as their immune system is in a constant state of activity.


What Is Rhinitis (Nasal Allergies)?

The expression rhinitis means “inflammation of the nose.” When the nose becomes irritated by allergens or irritants, it may produce more and thicker mucus than usual.

This drainage can irritate the back of the throat and cause coughing. Allergic reactions can also cause congestion, itchy nose or throat, sneezing, a runny nose and itchy, watery eyes.


What Is Sinusitis?

Sinusitis is an infection or inflammation of the sinuses. A sinus is a hollow space. There are numerous sinuses in the body, including four pairs inside the skull. They serve to lighten the skull and give resonance to the voice. These sinuses are lined with the same helpful of tissue that lines the inside of the nose. The same things that can cause swelling in the nose – such as allergies or infection – can also affect the sinuses.

When the tissue inside the sinuses becomes inflamed, mucus discharge is increased. Over time, air trapped inside the swollen sinuses can create painful pressure inside the head. This is a sinus headache.

Medical Review November

SYMPTOMS OF AN ALLERGIC REACTION

The severity of symptoms during an allergic reaction can vary widely.

What are the symptoms of a metal allergy

Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction include:

  1. Diarrhea
  2. Stomach cramps
  3. Itchy, watery eyes
  4. Vomiting
  5. Runny nose
  6. Itchy nose
  7. Sneezing
  8. Hives (a rash with raised red patches)
  9. Rashes
  10. Bloating
  1. Feeling faint, light-headed or “blacking out”
  2. Wheezing (a whistling sound when you breathe)
  3. Swelling
  4. Chest tightness and losing your breath
  5. Tongue swelling
  6. Redness
  7. Pain
  8. Throat closing
  9. Cough
  10. A sense of “impending doom”

Some of these symptoms can be sign of a life-threatening allergic reaction.

There are 2 types of contact dermatitis.

Irritant dermatitis: This is the most common type.

It is not caused by an allergy, but rather the skin’s reaction to irritating substances or friction.

What are the symptoms of a metal allergy

Irritating substances may include acids, alkaline materials such as soaps and detergents, fabric softeners, solvents, or other chemicals. Extremely irritating chemicals may cause a reaction after just a short period of contact. Milder chemicals can also cause a reaction after repeated contact.

People who own atopic dermatitis are at increased risk of developing irritant contact dermatitis.

Common materials that may irritate your skin include:

  1. Rubber gloves
  2. Pesticides or weed killers
  3. Cement
  4. Long-term exposure to wet diapers
  5. Hair dyes
  6. Shampoos

Allergic contact dermatitis: This form of the condition occurs when your skin comes in contact with a substance that causes you to own an allergic reaction.

Common allergens include:

  1. Preservatives commonly used in prescription and over-the-counter topical medicines.
  2. Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, and other plants.
  3. Adhesives, including those used for untrue eyelashes or toupees.
  4. Rubber or latex gloves or shoes.
  5. Fabrics and clothing, including both materials and dyes.
  6. Balsam of Peru (used in numerous personal products and cosmetics, as well as in numerous foods and drinks).
  7. Fragrances in perfumes, cosmetics, soaps, and moisturizers.
  8. Nail polish, hair dyes, and permanent wave solutions.
  9. Antibiotics, such as neomycin rubbed on the surface of the skin.
  10. Nickel or other metals (found in jewelry, watch straps, metal zips, bra hooks, buttons, pocketknives, lipstick holders, and powder compacts).
  11. Formaldehyde, which is used in a wide number of manufactured items.

You will not own a reaction to a substance when you are first exposed to the substance. However, you will form a reaction after future exposures. You may become more sensitive and develop a reaction if you use it regularly.

What are the symptoms of a metal allergy

It is possible to tolerate the substance for years or even decades before developing allergy. Once you develop an allergy you will be allergic for life.

The reaction most often occurs 24 to 48 hours after the exposure. The rash may persist for weeks after the exposure stops.

Some products cause a reaction only when the skin is also exposed to sunlight (photosensitivity). These include:

  1. Coal tar products
  2. Some perfumes
  3. Shaving lotions
  4. Sulfa ointments
  5. Sunscreens
  6. Oil from the skin of a lime

A few airborne allergens, such as ragweed, perfumes, vapor from nail lacquer, or insecticide spray, can also cause contact dermatitis.

The Facts

Metal hypersensitivity is a disorder of the immune system. It is a common condition that affects 10% to 15% of the population.

It can produce a variety of symptoms, including rashes, swelling, or pain due to contact with certain metals (see the symptoms and complications section, below).

What are the symptoms of a metal allergy

In addition to the local skin reactions, metal hypersensitivity can also manifest itself as more chronic conditions such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. There are numerous local and systemic symptoms that, when considered together, can be caused by metal hypersensitivities.

It is estimated that up to 17% of women and 3% of men are allergic to nickel and that 1% to 3% of people are allergic to cobalt and chromium. These types of reactions can be localized reactions that are limited to one area, but they can also be more generalized and affect other more distant parts of the body.


What Are Skin Allergies?

Skin allergies happen when your skin comes in contact with an allergen that your skin is sensitive or allergic to.

Also, allergies to other things, love food you eat or proteins you inhale or touch, may cause symptoms to appear on your skin. The allergic reaction generally appears within 48 hours after the initial exposure to the allergen. Symptoms often include the following: redness, swelling, blistering, itching, hives and rashes. The allergen doesn’t own to be new to you.

What are the symptoms of a metal allergy

It can be something you’ve been using or eating for numerous years. Common skin allergies include allergic contact dermatitis, eczema, chronic urticaria and angioedema.



What Are the Symptoms of an Allergy?

An allergy occurs when the body’s immune system sees a substance as harmful and overreacts to it. The symptoms that result are an allergic reaction. The substances that cause allergic reactions are allergens.

Allergens can get into your body numerous ways to cause an allergic reaction.

  1. Your body can own allergens injected into it. This includes medicine given by needle and venom from insect stings and bites.

    What are the symptoms of a metal allergy

  2. You can ingest allergens by mouth. This includes food and medicines you eat or swallow.
  3. You can inhale allergens into your nose and your lungs. Many are little enough to float through the air. Examples are pollen, home dust, mold spores, cat and dog dander and latex dust.
  4. Your skin can absorb allergens. Plants such as poison ivy, sumac and oak can cause reactions when touched.

    What are the symptoms of a metal allergy

    Latex, metals, and ingredients in beauty care and household products are other examples.


What Are Eye Allergies?

Eye allergies are common. Eye allergies are a reaction to indoor and outdoor allergens that get into your tissue that lines the inside of the eyelid and exterior of the eyeball becomes inflamed and swollen and leads to itching, redness, tearing and irritation of the eyes.


RELATED VIDEO: